Wednesday, October 29, 2008

oh my...

me and megan


so it's been a really long time since i last blogged, i decided to log on and write (something i will try to do more of). Well, I'm in college now, what a change! I'm really loving it. I've become very good friends with the girl across the hall from me. Her name is megan and she is pretty much my soul mate. I never knew how my priorities change and pretty much everything. A 5$ t-shirt from Wal-Mart is exciting, being able to eat at Chili's just once a month is a blessing etc.. I am officially the broke college student. I'm in search for a job (thus far it has, tragically, been unsuccessful). I've never been complimented on how smart I am before, besides from John and my mom. My English professor said she "really enjoys my essays and I should think about becoming a writer"! I couldn't believe it. Of course I am still interested in becoming an elementary education teacher and I become more and more confident in that everyday.
I've become REALLY involved in this church called Good Shepherd. On a good day the chapel has about twenty people. It started last year and it has a huge children's ministry. On Sundays I sit with the kids in church, Sunday nights I play with the younger kids from 4:30 until about 6:30 then we go and listen to a quick message, and on Tuesdays we go to these apartment complexes and play with the kids there. These kids come from low income families and bad homes. One family was living in a two bedroom apartment with 6 kids and two parents, the kids were the sweetest things ever and were so excited to have some playmates. So many of them have captured my heart. It makes me so sure that those are the types of kids I would like to teach.
Things get tough, sometimes I really ache for a home cooked meal, I'm short on money from going over my cellphone minutes and nothing sound better than a night in my own bed. I've made some really great friends and Megan and I pretty much hang out with my brother and his friends. I love it here. I miss John terribly, so far we've gotten to see each other about every three weeks which has been nice. Luckily, he will be here with me next year.
Be praying for me. I'm excited (and a little nervous) about this chapter in my life but I'm loving it!

2 comments:

TheShermanFam said...

OMGoodness!! YOU BLOGGED!!!
I think that is awesome that your professor said that! You can always write AND be a teacher.
AND I think it's even more awesome that are involved at Good Shepard...the little kiddos will be blessed by the time you put into their lives! Hope you find a job soon if you haven't already :)
Loves!
Em

TheShermanFam said...

DANGIT!! I hate typos! HATE! UGH...Shepherd...GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(sorry)